Search This Blog

Sunday 12 March 2023

Kent Compilations - The Goldway Story Volume 2

 


I would say that Goldwax is probably my most favourite Soul label. Indeed a quick search of the Blog reveals that they have appeared here on a number of occasions.

It is just as well that I did that very thing as I was all set to feature The Goldway Story Volume 1  today only to find it had appeared here in November last year ending with the words "I can feel a Kent Compilation series coming on!"

So here is the next best thing - Volume 2 . As the Ace website says 

This compilation, with its mixture of classics and rarities, follows on from the highly successful first volume Kent released a couple of years ago. If anything it contains more of the ballad wizardry that has made the Goldwax name such a fabled one.

The label was  from Memphis (2445 Chelsea Avenue to be precise ) and was founded by the magnificently named Quinton ClaunchA number of the more famous artists on  the label  including the mighty James Carr, O.V. Wright, Spencer Wiggins and The Ovations have featured before on my Southern Soul Sunday series.which  started in 2013 and which  reached 50 posts before I  called it a day.Spencer Wiggins was the second act to feature and James Carr the final one about a year later.

No James today but Spencer and OV Wright both make an appearance along with Barbara Perry. I managed to find the following info about Barbara on the MD Records website:

“Goldwax” records was founded by Quinton Claunch and Rudolph V. “Doc” Russell on August 11th, 1964 in Memphis, Tennessee and was distributed by Amy-Mala-Bell before being sold in 1970. Barbara Perry, who was born in 1943, started out as a singer with “The Teen Town Singers” before recording for “Fernwood” records, then “Goldwax” records in the late 1960’s, though many of her recordings remained unreleased at the time. 

I wasn't aware until now that in addition to the 2 Volumes of the Goldwax Story on the shelves, Ace also offer a 3rd volume which I must get at some stage. There are also 3 Volumes of The Complete Goldwax Singles and a Goldwax Northern Soul compilation. All very tempting but I suspect that there would be a fair bit of duplication.

Spencer Wiggins - I Never Loved a Woman (The Way I Love You)

O.V. Wright with the Keys - There Goes My Used To Be

Barbara Perry - Say You Need It


I'm just back from a few days away and I am away again tomorrow so nothing to see here until a fantastic guest post on Friday.

Also 10 weeks in it also seems an opportune time to bring this series to a halt as both I and the audience seem to have run out of steam. I reserve the right to re-introduce it at a later stage if need be.


2 comments:

  1. Away again? Are the rumours that you'll be doing community service after picking up an ASBO in Broughty Ferry true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may say that.I couldn't possibly comment

      Delete