Search This Blog

Saturday 18 March 2023

The Bluebells at Oran Mor

 


I've been that busy posting the Debra Haul and various series that I have neglected to feedback on various concerts I have attended in the last couple of months.

To start with I am going as far back as Friday 3rd February when I saw the Bluebells at Oran Mor. I was accompanied by my pal Pete so this necessitated a pint in Tennents in Byres Road beforehand meaning that we missed much of the set by support act Cowboy Mouth.

One of the good things about writing this so far after the fact is that setlists for the concert are readily available and help to jog the memory.

This confirms that they kicked off with a number of tracks from their new album The Bluebells in the 21st Century available on LNFG  I've still to receive my copy but was familiar with some of the songs having listened to their Quay Sessions for BBC Scotland on BBC Sounds. They were well received by the crowd with Ken McCluskey leading an audience discussion on  Scottish Junior football when introducing Stonehouse Violets and listing a number of clubs from Ayrshire and Lanarkshire. This went down well in Glasgow but I'm not sure it would work elsewhere.

The familiar old singles gradually became to appear whipping the crowd into a frenzy  culminating with the storming encore of Young at Heart which was being filmed on the camera phones of half the audience many of whom were simultaneously jumping up and down.

All in all a very good night despite Oran Mor being one of my least favourite venues. A solid 8 out of 10.


The Bluebells - Everybody's Somebody's Fool

The Bluebells - I'm Falling

1 comment:

  1. I'm Falling has always been a favourite of mine but it was the Stonehouse Violets that caught my attention here. What a simply wonderful name for a football club. I would have supported them for their name alone! Perhaps my fondness for Stenhousemuir helped make a connection but no it was the Violets that clinched it! My dad inspired my love of Scottish Football club names pro, amateur and junior and brought me up with a string of club names that appeared in all rounds of the Scottish Cup right back to the 1880s. Send Ken McCluskey down here by all means!

    ReplyDelete