Search This Blog

Sunday 19 March 2023

Robyn Hitchcock at Mono


The second of my belated and brief feedback posts from recent concerts I have attended - I hesitate to say reviews.

Robyn Hitchcock  at Mono on 1st March was a concert which was rescheduled from 3rd May last year to promote his most recent album Shufflemania! It was only the second time I have seen a live gig at Mono the other being Attila the Stockbroker many moons ago.

Before I get to the music a few observations.

Robyn Hitchcock is very tall and he also bears a passing resemblance to David McCluskey of the Bluebells who featured yesterday
He is a terrific guitarist and is also completely bonkers. There were many entertaining and amusing  anecdotes. An example - his cat Tubby flying a bi-plane to Tokyo to deliver some hair gel to Bryan Ferry.
This was also his last show as a sexagenarian.

I've not been able to find a set list but I know that Queen of Eyes, Madonna of the Wasps, I Wanna Destroy You and Ole Tarantula all featured with  Brenda's Iron Sledge as the finale.
Naturally there were a number of songs from Shufflemania! which leads me to another anecdote. Robyn mentioned that he watched the various series of the TV series Shetland during lockdown. He commented that Dougie Henshall who plays the lead character DI Jimmy Perez was very quiet and brooding and spent a lot of time staring into space. He then looked him up on line and discovered that he was a Scorpio which apparently explains everything!

It was a terrific show and I hope to catch him again in the future although uber fan The Swede has pointed out that he is unlikely to tour again until 2025

6 comments:

  1. I thought you would include a comment about a certain item of clothing of DI Jimmy Perez. Or even a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Perez did indeed come in handy in the freezing Ferry!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had an excellent night out! The full setlist is here... https://askingtree.com/gigs/3575

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing Robyn in Huddersfield Library on a Sunday afternoon a few years back. He was singing, rather than checking out a book. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First became aware of Robyn Hitchcock via Andy Kershaw for whom he did a few Radio sessions although for some reason I didn't latch on to him apart from his great track Television. Always thought he was someone I ought to be liking but it never happened until I picked up his 2014 alb The Man Upstairs a year or so ago which I loved and I'm now primed to pick up any of his voluminous back catalogue on my 2nd hand record shop travels

    ReplyDelete