Search This Blog

Saturday 25 March 2023

The Debra Haul - Futurama

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #33 - Be-Bop Deluxe - Futurama

Be - Bop Deluxe is a fantastic name for a band and it is a name that I am familiar with. However I was not familiar with their music so the Debra Haul seemed an ideal opportunity to give them a listen.

I had a vague notion that they were a Glam Rock band. Boy was I wrong there! They are - wait for it - Prog! I suppose in retrospect that the cover should have been a giveaway.

Futurama is from 1975 on Harvest (another giveaway)  and was their second album.Allmusic gives it 2/5 and Q Magazine 3/5. Both are being overly generous. Hardly surprisingly it did not trouble the album charts 

The Rough Guide to Rock describes the album as Top-heavy with massed guitars and melodic ideas pursued on a whim and just as quickly abandoned, it nevertheless contained two of the most perfect pop singles never to make the charts – 'Maid in Heaven' and 'Sister Seagull'.

I am not sure what the author of that quote was smoking but it is clearly a right load of old bobbins.

At least that gives me an idea as to what two tracks to feature without having to listen to the album 

For the benefit of doubt, it will not a a keeper.

Be-Bop Deluxe - Maid in Heaven

Be- Bop Deluxe - Sister Seagull



3 comments:

  1. You have INSPIRED me to pull this out today. And play it, one of 3 Be-Bop Deluxe albums on the shelves (bought on ebay when you could an album for £1)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to gift it to a mutual friend of ours

      Delete
  2. Depending on where you drop into their catalogue, Be-Bop Deluxe could be described as anything from folk to prog, though I'd venture that Maid in Heaven in particular is absolutely prime glam-rock. Futurama is a fabulous album from a terrific band. Stick with it CC!

    ReplyDelete