Search This Blog

Thursday 30 March 2023

Hits of the 70s

 


I'm taking a wee break from the Debra Haul to feature a couple of cheap and cheerful compilations  that Mrs CC brought in the other day

I can't find any information about Hits of the 70s Disc Two other that it is on the EMI label. I suspect it may well be part of a larger box set. Also I couldn't find anything on Google Images so you will have to make do with a photo by me.

There are 18 songs on the CD  a few of which have featured here before. Of the 18 I am familiar with 14. The songs by Kandidate, Congregation,Lee Garrett and Brass Construction I may well have heard before.If so they have been erased from my memory.

If the tables were turned and this was the hits of any decade of this Millennium I very much doubt that I would be able to identify 4.

If I was on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (unlikely as I wouldn't trust myself not to lamp Jeremy Clarkson) and any "hit" songs appeared as part of the £200 question I would have to ask the audience because I suspect that anyone I nominated as a friend would not know  the answer anyway.

Would you be able to tell who these three were by or would you be asking the audience?

Similar fayre from the 80's tomorrow

Bobby Goldsboro - Summer The First Time

George McCrae - Rock Your Baby

Maxine Nightingale -Right Back Where We Started From

7 comments:

  1. Proper music at last! You should listen to Millie Jackson's version of 'Summer (The First Time)' - must more raunchy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon I'd know all three of those, but I'd be more likely to identify Bobby G through Honey.

    That said, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify tracks by Congregation, Lee Garrett or Brass Construction, so it's a lottery, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Summer The First Time" is truly a catastrophic record. Lyrically dismal, with scattered syntax, horrific imagery and a determination to rhyme whatever the cost.("The sun closed her eyes. As it climbed in the skies. And it started to swelter. The sweat trickled down. The front of her gown. And I thought it would melt her."). The only redeeming feature about this song was its re-emergence after 18 years of cringe through Cathal Coughlan and Sean Hughes cover version as Bubonique with "Summer The Fist Time" in 1991. By the time Cathal is 'la-la-ing' at the end... you might well be crying. It was on their amazing "20 Golden Showers" album. The George and Maxine tracks will always be right up there (fantastic stuff). But stay off the Goldsboro... please...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those three very familiar and I remember Brass Construction, mainly because around the same time there was also Silver Convention and Andrea True Connection. Got very confusing.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep would have got those three also Congregation but I put that down to my advanced age. I'm a peaceable chap but I'm with you entirely on decking Clarkson

    ReplyDelete