Search This Blog

Friday 31 March 2023

Music of the Year 1982

 


JC currently has a monthly series on the go called Don't Look Back in Anger which is concentrating on music from the year 1983. Being slightly older than him I am going back to 1982.

Yes the year of the Falklands War, the film Ghandi, the birth of Prince William and of Aston Villa winning the European Cup beating Bayern Munich 1-0 in Rotterdam. 

I shall write that again - the year that Aston Villa won the European Cup 

Released on the Spectrum label in 2001 I suspect it may be part of a series although I have no evidence to support this theory. It just seems unlikely that it is a one off.  There are some big hitters on it who will have graced the pages of not only CCM but many of the other excellent blogs on the right hand sidebar - Dexys, Soft Cell,and ABC to name but three of the eighteen acts . The tracklist is here but I'm not sure that I would necessarily fork out £8.74 for it.

Today I'm starting off with a big hitter namely The Jam who haven't appeared here nearly as often  as they should. The same sentiment could equally apply to Squeeze and King Creole & the Coconuts.

I feel that sharing these with you makes me A Wonderful Thing,Baby.

I shall spare you David Essex, Charlene and Captain Sensible.

The Jam - Town Called Malice

Squeeze - Black Coffee in Bed

Kid Creole & the Coconuts - I'm a Wonderful Thing, Baby

11 comments:

  1. I mean this constructively, CC, but describing yourself a 'wonderful thing' suggests that - unlike Charlene - you have perhaps 'been to me' a bit too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the follow up - Up My Own Backside

    ReplyDelete
  3. " The Jam who haven't appeared here nearly as often as they should"
    Once is too often.
    Re the final track, if I was in the town house I would get out one of my two Kid Creole albums and play it

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few great songs on here, but I think all of us could come up with a much better mix of ‘82 songs from our collections without giving it much thought at all. With such a tremendous way year for pop singles, there is too much chaff here. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your three selections are exceptions... and exceptional. - Brian

      Delete
  5. It never fails to amuse me that Aston Villa have won the European Cup more times than Manchester City have. And fellow Petrochemical club PSG too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me! There's more than a faint whiff of patronising here about Aston Villa winning the European Cup in 1982 beating (amongst others on the way) the 'mighty' Bayern Munich. As a Villa fan of long long standing I saw it as the rather inevitable culminating apotheosis of one England's all-time footballing giants. As for Manchester City, they will NEVER win the European Cup as, since about 1992, multiple teams from the same country now compete in the Champions League which is an entirely different (and inferior) competition. I always feel it's important to set the record straight hahaha. As for the music I agree with everyone else that the compilers could have licensed a hundred much better tracks from that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot you were a Villa fan Spence!

      Delete
    2. Record set straight Spence. No patronising from me.

      Delete