Search This Blog

Monday 20 March 2023

The Dream Syndicate at the Hug and Pint

 


The third and most recent concert that I have to feed back from is The Dream Syndicate at the Hug and Pint on Saturday 11th March. Whereas The Bluebells and Robyn Hitchcock were both excellent this one was the best of the lot.

The basement of the Hug and Pint pub is a tiny venue with a capacity of around 120 although it seemed that there were about double than that. I got there relatively early grabbed a pint and set up base camp pretty near the front .I didn't move from that spot for about three hours and probably would have struggled to even if I wanted to as we were packed in like sardines.It was also extremely hot and  I felt that I was sweating pure alcohol after two nights on the lash in Broughty Ferry.

There was a Paisley Underground feel to the show with support coming from Matt Piucci and Steve Roback of Rain Parade.  Also Vicki Peterson from the Bangles was replacing Jason Victor on guitar for this tour and did a fantastic job. On the subject of Paisley Underground  given that they were in Glasgow for two nights Steve Wynn told an amusing story of a pilgrimage to nearby Paisley. I  think it is fair to say that they were suitably underwhelmed.

I managed to find a setlist for this one which shows that they featured songs from across their long and illustrious career along with covers of songs by Rain Parade and the Bangles  in a similar vein to the 3 x4 album.

I think it is fair to say that they gave it absolutely everything and left nothing out there.A stunning display of musicianship.

I could be wrong but I think that Steve said that this was the first time that the Dream Syndicate had toured  the UK and they seemed genuinely thrilled to be here. I saw him play with the Miracle 3 in Edinburgh a good few years ago and solo as part of a Song Circle at King Tuts in 2002.I also saw the Miracle 3 at an unforgettable near empty Continental Club in Austin early on a Saturday afternoon. I mentioned the last one to Steve as I was getting my copy of Ultraviolet Battle Hymns and True Confessions signed and he said that it was one of the best shows he had ever played,

A truly unforgettable evening. For something much  more in-depth and informative can I refer you to Mike at Manic Pop Thrills who was fortunate enough to see them play on five occasions during this tour. Lucky bloke.

The Dream Syndicate - That's What You Always Say

The Dream Syndicate - Put Some Miles On

3 comments:

  1. I saw Rain Parade several times back in the day and caught Steve Wynn in a couple of different solo incarnations in later years, but to my regret never saw The Dream Syndicate. It sounds like you had a truly memorable evening. Very envious CC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good evening out. Never seen Ream Syndicate or Steve Wynn to date

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen Dream Syndicate either!

    ReplyDelete