Search This Blog

Saturday 27 December 2014

Saturday Lucky Dip


I've never really got The Kings of Leon
I got their debut album Youth and Young Manhood when it came out but haven't listened to it in ages.
Also I've never felt a pressing desire to obtain anything else of theirs even when I come across it cheap in Charity Shops.
Therefore I can only assume that Red Hot and Regal - Kings of Leon -Roots , Friends and Influences  a Mojo Compilation from July 2009 was acquired when the magazine was purchased for some holiday reading.

The Followhill Brothers and cousin Matthew were good clean living and God fearing boys before the vices of Sex, Drugs and Rock'n' Roll gradually reeled then in.
Given that their father was a United Pentecostal Church preacher it is save to assume that they were exposed to a bit of country gospel such as the first number.

Friends featured include The Kills, Jason Lytle, Dan Auerbach and My Morning Jacket. I've gone for The Cribs whom I'm not familiar with but this is a mighty fine record.

The Maddox Brothers and Rose - When God Dips His Love in my Heart

The Cribs - Girls Like Mystery

2 comments:

  1. That Maddox Brothers cut is some deep Cracker ####...I love it. They were the kind that would make my Grandmother go wild (wild for the Lord of course).

    I have a problem with the Cribs...me and the Boy have been discussing this lately. I love the tune but, we've decided, that for indie, power-pop, whatever you call it...they should all have female singers. Maybe there should be a law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Erik's deep Cracker #### means it's a damned good song, well, he's absolutely not wrong there. A track that would not be out of place o Gospel Sunday. Quality.

    ReplyDelete