Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 December 2014

I'm Tense and Nervous and I Can't Relax

Why a big suit?


I'm in a bit of a quandary today.
Part of me wants to state that Stop Making Sense by  Talking Heads is one of the top 10 albums of all time.
However, given that it is taken from the concert movie featuring the band live on stage it probably constitutes a sort of greatest hits and therefore probably does not make the criteria that is normally used when making such lists.
I am tempted to replace it in the top 10 with 77 but realistically that would make the long list as opposed to the short list.

Nevertheless Stop Making Sense is absolutely terrific. I saw the film at the GFT (Glasgow Film Theatre) along with The Ramones' Rock'n'Roll High School. It is probably the only music DVD that I have ever watched on more than half a dozen occasions.

Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la
Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la
Realisant mon espoir
Je me lance, vers la gloire ... OK

Talking Heads -Psycho Killer

Talking Heads - Burning Down The House

7 comments:

  1. It's crazy but I can't hear Burning Down the House without being back in the Roller Rink where I spent Friday nights as a kid..10 or 12 years old. I can see the Centipede screen...taste the Suicide (all the different Cokes mixed into one drink)...the disco ball...and Burning Down the House echoing through the place.

    Even later as I learned they had made these great records...they've still never gotten out of the skating rink. Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived the same childhood... right down to the suicides.

      Delete
  2. Great album and film.
    swiss adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i've watched Stop Making Sense more than once.

    More Songs About Buildings And Food would be high in my albums of all time. Partly because of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost a lot of love for Talking Heads after Remain In Light. Like a lot of bands that I was a hardcore fan of (Simple Minds post Sparkle In The Rain is another example), when they succeeded in the mainstream - Burning Down The House - I began to lose interest. It just seemed to me that they weren't building beyond their own curve any longer, more like riding it. While Stop Making Sense brings their well oiled expanded live show to real life, I am a huge fan of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads from 1982 and the amazing progression of their live sound up to 1980 and their now legendary Central Park performance of Life During Wartime, which I had the great fortune to attend. There isn't any greater live album that I own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a very good reason why it is generally considered to be the best music DVD of all time. Great album, great film.

    ReplyDelete