Search This Blog

Thursday 12 September 2024

The Soul Queen of New Orleans

 


It is not just Blues which has been neglected here of late. Posts featuring Soul music have also have also recently been scarcer than hen's teeth.

In an effort to compensate for this I shut my eyes and pointed a finger at the music folders on the screen and it landed at Irma Thomas who is also known as the Soul Queen of New Orleans.

She has graced these pages  on a few occasions, as a search will illustrate, but not since November 2018. I feel quite guilty about that particularly as she is still going strong at the age of 83 having appeared on stage with the Rolling Stones as recently as May this year when she duetted with Mick Jagger on Time is On My Side a song that she recorded prior to the Stones better known version.

A true talent. Long may time remain on her side.


Irma Thomas - I Done Got Over It

Irma Thomas - Time is on My Side

Irma Thomas - I'm Your Puppet

1 comment:

  1. There's something rather incredible about the fact that Irma Thomas and the Stones independently recorded Time Is On My Side circa 1963/1964 and that she and Jagger sang it together a whole 60 years later. Her version of I'm our Puppet is pretty strong but nothing touches James and Bobby Purify.

    ReplyDelete