Search This Blog

Friday 6 September 2024

I Like Birds 9 - The Chicken

 


When I was in the RAF I had far more important things to do than write Blog posts about Chickens!

As well as staring in Chicken Run, quite possibly the greatest animated film of all time, the Chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)  is a large and round short-winged bird, domesticated from the Red Junglefowl of Southeast Asia around 8,000 years ago. Most chickens are raised for food primarily for providing meat and eggs.

I like that they have the word Gallus in their Latin name as Gallus is a Glaswegian word  which can be described as bold, cheeky or flashy.

For me there was only one song to kick off today's selections and that was Louis Jordan with Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens.

Dixie Chicken by Little Feat was a close second.

Others worthy of a mention come from John Grant, Bobby Rush  and Hasil Adkins and I couldn't resist concluding with Dr John Cooper Clarke and Evidently Chickentown.

More finger lickin' birdsong next Friday.


Louis Jordan -Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens

Little Feat - Dixie Chicken

John Grant - Chicken Bones

Bobby Rush - Chickenheads

Hasil Adkins - Chicken Shake

John Cooper Clarke - Evidently Chickentown

5 comments:

  1. You won't thank me for adding Chicken Techno to this list.... once heard, never forgotten, but not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No room for The Chicken Song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google are playing silly buggers with me when I click on the JCC link (haven't they got anything better to do?) so I go through their ridiculous security loop and still they won't let me play it. I could have played it on my iTunes in the first place! Chicken Shack and the Frank Chickens are knocking at the hen house door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No room for the greatest ever chicken song? Gallo del Cielo - written by Tom Russell and best version by Joe Ely.

    ReplyDelete