Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 September 2024

Spaceships Over Glasgow

 


A month or so ago I had some time to kill in the library while waiting for a bus to visit a friend in hospital. 

I pulled Spaceships Over Glasgow the autobiography by Mogwai frontman Stuart Braithwaite from the shelves and read the first couple of chapters. I put it back with a view to taking it out later. Of course it was never on the shelves whenever I visited and I had to request it. Equally predictable the day I collected it there was  also a copy available on the shelves.

I must admit I am not really a fan of Mogwai but it is a good read particularly if you are from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire areas as it references a lot of  bands and venues that you will be familiar with. Also if you are into Post Punk there will be plenty to whet your appetite.

The subtitle Mogwai Mayhem and Misspent Youth  is pretty accurate given that  there is a lot of references to  youthful hedonism and copious consumption of drink and drugs.

Among the interesting facts is that his father was Scotland's last telescope maker.

It is  well worth a read but still hasn't converted me to Mogwai. It does give me a good excuse though to post the first song.


Mogwai - George Square Thatcher Death Party

Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan

2 comments:

  1. Love a bit of Mogwai- although there's quite a few of their albums I don't own. Saw them live in Manchester a few years ago and they were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear Mogwai again. Must be 25 years since I used to listen to them regularly, predictably courtesy of Peel. I've nothing on the shelves by them.

    ReplyDelete