Search This Blog

Saturday 28 September 2024

Saturday Shuffle 71

 


When it comes to live albums there are few better than 1969's Johnny Cash at San Quentin. One that everyone should have in their collection. It was his second Prison album following 1968's At Folsom Prison.  He even wrote a song to commemorate the occasion:

San Quentin, I hate every inch of you
You cut me and you scarred me through and through
And I'll walk out a wiser, weaker man
Mister Congressman, you can't understand

Martin Stephenson, who is one day younger that me, is a very underrated singer songwriter. Although born in Durham he is now considered an honorary Scotsman.. Along with his band The Daintees he enjoyed a modicum of fame in the late 80s/early 90s. Sunday Halo is taken from their 4th album 1992's The Boy's Heart.

Twenty years previously Darts, a nine piece British doo-wop revival band, were regularly troubling the charts. Come Back My Love was the first of three successive sons which reached number 2 in the UK Singles Charts. Unfortunately they never quite hit the bullseye.

We will be stepping back up to the oche next Saturday for more Shuffling.


Johnny Cash - San Quinten (Live)

Martin Stephenson & the Daintees -Sunday Halo

Darts - Come Back My Love


2 comments:

  1. Top shuffling CC. And I will stand up for Darts. If Den Hegarty was good enough for The Clash he should be good enough for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll stand up for Darts too. Saw them at Harlow Town Park in the Summer of '78 when they used to put bands on for free, and they were great fun.

      Delete