Search This Blog

Friday 13 September 2024

I Like Birds 10 - The Owl

 


There are five resident species of owl within the British Isles - four native species the barn, tawny, long eared and short eared and the little owl which was introduced in the 1800s,  There is also the occasional eagle owl kicking about but they are not listed as a native species. I have no idea as to whether the one pictured above is one of them. I'm not sure that I've ever seen an owl

Owls can rotate their heads up to 270 degrees and twist them nearly upside down which let's face it is a pretty neat party trick and surely worthy of a vole or two.

To the music. Stephanie Dosen an American singer songwriter, knitwear designer (under the brand Tiny Owls Knit) and member of the band Snowbird. She is a new name to me.

The late great Paisley Buddy Gerry Rafferty surely needs no introduction and appears today courtesy of the title song to his 1999n third solo album Night Owl

We go from Night Owl to Nite Owl  a song by Tony Allen and the Champs from as far back as 1955 with the crackles to prove it. 

We conclude the Owl title  songs  with the appropriately  named An Owl Song by Canned Heat.

Eagle owls got a brief mention above ,There is also a lo-fi/indie folk band from Edinburgh called Eagleowl whose lead singer is coincidentally or otherwise  called Bartholemew Owl who also performs as part of Broken Chanter.

More birds who don't have tilted heads and/or haven't played with Broken Chanter next week


Stephanie Dosen - Owl in the Dark

Gerry Rafferty -Night Owl

Tony Allen and the Champs - Nite Owl

Canned Heat - An Owl Song

Eagleowl - For the Thoughts You Never Had

6 comments:

  1. Thanks CC. I have a few Stephanie Dosen songs but not this one. This is probably the pick of the (small) bunch:

    https://youtu.be/zeKhBIoEI4Q?si=vN6uOAWqDB5nN0j2

    ReplyDelete
  2. We occasionally sw an owl when we had a bottle of wine at Restaurant Morais (now sadly closed). Lucy liked Morais, she always got some ham or chicken. The Gerry Rafferty track could be the best song I hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a Barn Owl to me, and a very sweet one at that!
    I'm liking the Tony Allen & The Champs track, it's those little owly whoops. Here's another owly song for you by the wonderfully named Cosmo Sheldrake - he has quite a few other birdy songs (not that one!) out there if you're interested...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUQsZQU60k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see Eagleowl making an appearance.

    I was halfway to compiling a Snapshots list of Owl Songs until I realised you lot would get it far too quick. Here are a couple of the entries not listed above...

    The Little Willies - Foul Owl On The Prowl
    Little River Band - The Night Owls
    Album Club - Night Owls

    Sorry I've not been around much lately. I don't know where the time goes. Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your playing Gerry Rafferty coincided with me playing one of his lesser known albs this week. Ditto George on Night Owl - what a voice he had. GR I mean not George. Loved the Tony Allen - crackles add to the magic. The Eagleowl track plays for 7:21 and at several points I was ready to stop and move on but....I kept going. Does this mean anything? I'll play it again on a wet Tuesday afternoon and see if I'm still as indulgent. At around 5:45 when her vocals came back in I was thinking Mimi Parker/Low.

    My own Owl offerings are:

    One Eyed Owl - Rainbow Chasers
    The Owl & The Pussycat - Ex Galaxie 500's Dean Wareham's band Luna
    The Owls Go - Architecture in Helsinki (which incidentally made #29 in Peel's 2003 Festive Fifty - his last before he died.

    ReplyDelete