Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 September 2024

Burnside Blues


 

It has been a while since the Blues appeared on these pages so by way of compensation here are some Burnside Blues.

No not music from the most affluent part of Rutherglen but rather the Mississippi Bluesman R.L. Burnside who enjoyed some belated fame on the Fat Possum label in the 90's with his stripped down North Mississippi Hill Country Blues alongside fellow Mississippian Junior Kimbrough a style which was to influence the likes of The Black Keys. ( long sentence!)

After a heart attack in 2001 his doctors advised him to stop drinking which he did but he reported that this change left him unable to play!

He popped up on the MP3 player at the gym the other day and I felt that he merited a further airing.

Great stuff but I suspect that it will not do much for my dwindling figures.


RL Burnside -Going Down South

RL Burnside - Jumper Hanging on the Line

RL Burnside - Miss Maybelle

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff, indeed and I enjoyed listening to it after a long time. And yes, my eclectic taste is also noticeable in my figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reassured that the important people are reading and listening!

      Delete
  2. As Walter said (ie blogger Walter, not out pigeon) great stuff. DO I detect some disillusion on these pages? Maybe you need another series featuring a twee 1970s pop outfit? If only you knew someone with too much time on their hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would even be happy for the pigeon to write something!

      Delete
  3. Love me some blues, pure and raw

    ReplyDelete