Search This Blog

Monday 2 June 2014

Girl Power


I seem to be going through a phase at the moment of buying cheap and cheerful compilations of 60's girl groups.
A couple of months ago it was Boyfriends and Love - Girl Groups of the 60's. This time around it is Girl Power - The First Ladies of Rock'n'Roll
You should be familiar with most of the bands and tracks, As you would expect the queens of this sub genre The Shangri-Las and The Crystals both feature along with Betty Everett, Mary Wells, Lesley Gore and The Angels with the obvious songs you would expect.
Detroit's The Chiffons are also present and whereas the terrific Sweet Talkin' Guy features I am going for the slightly less well known One Fine Day



This is followed up by probably the only track on the album that I was unfamiliar with You Don't Have to Be a Baby to Cry.
It is by The Caravelles an English duo namely Lois Wilkinson and Andrea Simpson and it is pretty good

The Chiffons - One Fine Day

The Caravelles - You Don't Have to be a Baby to Cry

3 comments:

  1. CC, I don't think these are the original releases, at least the Chiffons sounds like a later re-record. I can send you the one I have if you want to hear it. If you'd rather I keep my mouth zipped next time, just let me know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cheap and cheerful compilation bought in a Charity shop for a pound Marie so I'm not necessarily surprised if they are not originals.
      Always happy to hear the originals though!

      Delete
    2. Actually, I wasn't trying to be snarky, CC. It's amazing how close some of these releases can come to the original versions. I posted one a couple of years ago (another girl group, but I can't remember which) and one of my readers pointed out to me that it was a re-record. I was surprised, because I'd supposedly listened first before buying. ;-)

      Delete