I know that many of you will be familiar with John Medd's monthly photo challenge. If not you should make yourself familiar with it.
August's theme was simple the letter H which led to a wide and diverse collection of pictures.
I was sat on a chair in the Music Room looking for inspiration when I found myself staring at the Blue Americana shelves.
These four albums were side by side and it seemed like a good idea to take a collective photo of them and submit it to John.
In alphabetical order the first one up was the eponymous 2005 Hacienda Brothers album on the Proper label. If you google Hacienda at CCM you will get this as opposed to anything from Manchester! The two main participants were Dave Gonzales and the late great Chris Gaffney. I saw them play once up a close in Glasgow's Trongate.
Next alphabetically is Wayne Hancock with That's What Daddy Wants a 1998 album from Ark 21. He subsequently signed to Bloodshot and plays an Americana form of Western Swing. I saw him a lunchtime set at the long gone Virgin Megastore on Glasgow's Buchanan Street.
Greg Hawk & the Tremblers are the ones that I know the littleist about. Indeed it looks like they are making their debut on these pages. I'm not quite sure how they crossed my radar Fool's Paradise is an album from 2001 on the Yep Roc label They are the only one of the four acts that I haven't seen live.
Finally we have the eponymous 2003 album by the band Hazy Malaze on the Fargo label. They were a trio featuring the late Neal Casal on guitars, lead vocals and harmonica; Dan Fadel on drums,vocals, percussion and Jeff Hill on bass and vocals. I saw them put on an excellent show at King Tuts.
Which one(s) float your boat?
Hacienda Brothers - South Of Lonesome

John Medd you say? Tell me more...
ReplyDeleteWhat's the title of the Hacienda Brothers album?
ReplyDeleteAnd is that Flaco on the 2nd track?
Delete