Search This Blog

Sunday, 6 September 2026

Rough Trade Shops Country 1

 


Well we've finally done it! 50 Americana Compilations every Sunday for the best part of a year. The well is now dry.

From Rough Trade in October 2003 this compilation features forty tracks over two CDs here

Yours for £ 5.17 on Discogs or 30.69 Euros on Amazon Both of the links give details of the tracks. The vast majority of the artists have previously graced this series.

As is now tradition I have selected three for your listening pleasure. I think that all three acts have had songs in this series before but not these ones.

Let's kick off with the Americana super group Golden Smog (who include members from the likes of Wilco, the Jayhawks and Big Star among others ) with Until You Came Along from their 1998 album Weird Tales.

Next Up are Freakwater with their fantastic cover of Dwight Yoakam's South of Cincinnati. I'm not sure if this is available elsewhere.

We conclude the series with the Gun Club  epic Ghost on the Highway. It may predate technically precede Americana but it is definitely a precursor.

In the same vein I've made a last minute decision to throw the Dream Syndicate's cover of Bob Dylan's epic Blind Willie McTell . Don't say I'm not good to you.

If you've enjoyed this series half as much as I have I've enjoyed it twice as much as you.

I haven't a scoobie as to what will come next.


Golden Smog - Until You Came Along

Freakwater - South of Cincinnati

The Gun Club - Ghost On the Highway

The Dream Syndicate - Blind Willie McTell

2 comments: