Search This Blog

Monday, 21 September 2026

Here's Johnny

 


2026 Charity Shop Purchases #31 -Johnny Burnette - Roses Are Red/Hits and Other Favourites

It was immediately obvious that this twofer by Johnny Burnette was not going to sit neatly with my other twofer by him Rock'n'Roll Trio/ Tear It Up. (1956/57)

Despite being presented by Rock'n'Roll it is ballads all the way  from Roses  Are Red (1963) and Hits & Other Favourites (1961)

It's a huge change of style and one that I am struggling a bit with. As things stand I'm not convinced as to whether it is a keeper of not. It's not that he doesn't have a good voice it's more that I think it is wasted.

I'm going to feature the Rock'n'Roll numbers later in the week for a compare and contrast. Spoiler alert there isn't much in the way of compare but plenty of contrast

Sadly at the age of 30 his unlit fishing boat was struck by a cabin cruiser on Clear Lake in California in April 1964 so will will never know how his music would have evolved.

One from each album I think


Johnny Burnette - Lonesome Waters

Johnny Burnette - Girl Of My Best Friend

3 comments: