Search This Blog

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Del Boy

 



2026 Charity Shop Purchases #32 - Delbert McClinton - The Jealous Kind (LP)

During the week we visited a Cancer Research Superstore in the Glasgow Gorbals Retail Park.
i somewhat naively assumed that there would be a lot of CDs to choose from. There weren't, just a handful of utter dross. I was reminded of a comment from Alyson, who volunteers in a similar store, that anything half decent goes straight to E-Bay to be sold there. Not only is that an inconvenience but you also have to fork out for postage.

There was a selection of LPs which had significantly more records that the CD collection. I had a cursory flick through of what was also largely dross.
Then this album The Jealous Kind  by Delbert McClinton caught my eye and I bought it for a pound.
I was only vaguely aware of the name having a song called When Rita Leaves from some compilation or another.

The Jealous Kind is his 8th studio album released in 1980 on the Capitol label. And do you know what, it's pretty good!

I though he was a country singer but it seems his range varies. This album was recorded at the Muscle Shoals Sounds Studio here and features and is produced by the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section here. It gets a solid 4/5 from Discogs

I'm putting it down as a find!



2 comments:

  1. Delbert is a bit of an everyman. He played harmonica on the original "Hey Baby", wrote country songs like "Two More Bottles Of Wine" that was hit for Emmylou and lots of blues songs for himself and others. "Sandy Beaches" from the next album along is a personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AN artist totally absent from my shelves. I was going to say digital rectification would be appreciated but I think that might mean something else.

    ReplyDelete