Search This Blog

Friday 25 October 2024

I Like Birds 15 - The Duck

 


I feel a little bit like a duck with this series. On the surface everything likes calm but under the water I'm paddling away like crazy!

Still I've managed to eek it out for another week  with some ducks - the common name for numerous species of waterfowl in the family Antidae.

You will be relieved to note that I do not have The Ugly Duckling by Mike Reid although I'm sure you could track it down if you are that way inclined.

It's three duck songs and two duck bands this week.

We start with Jackie Lee and the simply titled The Duck a 1966 soul song written by Fred Sledge Smith and Earl Nelson. It seems that Jackie Lee is actually Earl Nelson  and was moonlighting from the duet Bob & Earl.

Taj Mahal is also moonlighting as a Blues singer as opposed to his normal role as a mausoleum in Agra, India. Here he is with Diving Duck Blues.

Next up is the wonderful Kelly Hogan with Rubber Duckie from the Bloodshot  children's compilation The Bottle Let Me Down - Songs for Bumpy Wagon Rides and yes I actually have the CD as I was picking up anything that the label released at the time .

I was originally only going to feature English pub rock band Ducks Deluxe as the band name but I have also decided to include 60's Canadian Garage group The Ugly Ducklings who I am assured have absolutely nothing to do with Mike Reid (or bloody Orville for that matter!)

Have all the birds flown the nest or will we be back next week?


Jackie Lee - The Duck

Taj Mahal - Diving Duck Blues

Kelly Hogan - Rubber Duckie

Ducks Deluxe - Love's Melody

The Ugly Ducklings- She Ain't No Use to Me


PS - thanks for all the Series suggestions. I will be following some of them up.

2 comments:

  1. The future Mrs Goggins channeling Marilyn Monroe's birthday tribute to JFK makes bath-time seem much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully no idiot has suggested this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynWhozyOoZQ

    ReplyDelete