Search This Blog

Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Dolly Parton R.I.P.

 


I was coming in from the recycling when Mrs CC called me in to the living room with the sad news that Dolly Parton had died at the age of 80.

It was perhaps not too surprising as she had stepped back recently due to illnesses. Also, she was probably still mourning the death of her husband Carl Dean.

She was the undisputed queen of Country Music. While she often portrayed herself as a dumb blonde she was anything but. She also never shirked from her desperately poor childhood.

Wiki lists her occupations as Singer-Songwriter, Musician, Actress, Philanthropist and (Shrewd) Business Woman. I added the shrewd given her setting up of the Dollywood theme park and Restaurants

The philanthropist reference is down to the Dolly Parton Imagination Library providing millions of free books to children.

Then obviously there is the music. I must admit that I wasn't a fan of all of her songs, but she wrote and sang some absolute classics such as the three below.

A tiny pocket rocket but nobody's fool. What a talent.The best of America.

Rest easy Dolly.


Dolly Parton - Jolene

Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors

Dolly Parton - Down From Dover


1 comment:

  1. 'Down from Dover' is one of the saddest songs ever written

    ReplyDelete