Search This Blog

Sunday, 4 October 2026

James McMurtry at St Lukes

 


Those of you of a certain age will recognise what the above picture is. Yes it's an actual printed concert ticket and not a bloody QR code! It has found a new home in my Ticket Tin

On Wednesday we went to see James McMurtry play at St Lukes. It was thoughtful for him to play to acknowledge our 18th wedding anniversary.

Put on by Kevin Morris' legendary Fallen Angels Club, who have been putting on Americana concerts in Edinburgh and more often Glasgow for about 20 years, it was pretty much a sell out .

It was a mature audience. I don't think I've ever seen so many bald men in the same place!

He was accompanied by Betty Soo. She opened the show with a set of song. Then James came on and played a couple. After the interval they primarily played as a duo.

They rattled of a number of his classic songs and yes they did include Choctaw Bingo. Unfortunately I only have the Ray Wylie Hubbard cover. They also performed a jaw dropping cover of Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos) It became clear fairly quickly that they were no fans of the Orange Idiot something which met with the approval of the Glasgow audience.

For a variety of reasons I've hardly been at any gigs this year, indeed this was just my third. Fortunately they have all been terrific

It was a privilege to see him live although I was a bit surprised to find out that he is younger than me!


James McMurtry -Painting By Numbers

James McMurtry - Canola Fields

James McMurtry -South Dakota

James McMurtry - I'm Not From Here






1 comment:

  1. Always great to see Mr McM but unfortunately missing him this time round. Would have been interesting to hear the duets.

    ReplyDelete