Search This Blog

Thursday, 23 July 2026

Blog Country 146 - Mauritania

 


Relatively speaking it was just a hop, skip and a jump from the last Blog Country Togo to today's Blog Country Mauritania - a mere 1864 KM

Mauritania, officially the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, is a country in the Maghreb region of West Africa. It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, Western Sahara to the north and northwest, Algeria to the northeast, Mali to the east and southeast, and Senegal to the southwest..It is the 11th-largest country in Africa and the 28th-largest in the world; 90% of its territory is in the Sahara desert.

As usual when it comes to Africa I am contractually obliged to refer you to Ernie's African Odyssey. I try not to step on his toes but on this occasion I may have grazed his little toe.

I very nearly started with Laura Beg who I have just discovered is actually from Mauritius as opposed to Mauritania. Clearly, you have to be careful while searching on Google

It looks as if Ahmedou Ahamed Lowla is definitely a Mauritanian. Indeed  he is one of the country's biggest stars. Performing in lavish weddings of Nouakchott with a troupe of percussionists, Ahmed's signature style is dynamic and ambitious, shredding over the keys with flourishes (like playing with his elbows and head!).Here he is with Bembara

There are plenty of clips on line of Bakha Tokha but precious little information about him. I'm reasonably sure (but not quite 100%) that he is Mauritanian. especially when the song Bakha Gambia Kota references another African country!

Daby Touré is a Mauritanian-born singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist who has built a career bridging African traditions with global sounds.  He grew up between Mauritania, Senegal, and France, later settling in Montreal. His offering today is Oma

Khalifa Ould Eide & Dimi Mint Abba provide Moorish Music From Mauritania here Try saying that after a couple of pints. They have turned up at Ernie's place but not as part of the Odyssey. Art's Plume is today's offering.

We conclude with DJ Dhaker who Google describe as a music maker .He  is a self-taught producer and composer whose releases are popular throughout Mauritania with videos that have millions of views online some presumably referencing Desert Amapiano.

We are off to the Caribbean next time round


Ahmedou Ahmed Lowla - Bembara

Bakha Tokha - Bakha Gambia Kota

Daby Toure - Oma

Khalifa Ould Eide & Dimi Mint Abba - Art's Plume

DJ Dhakar - Desert Amapiano

3 comments:

  1. I'm off to see a Mauritanian on Sunday night, not one of these though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Ahmedou appeared in the Odyssey but with a different spelling of his last name, but you are forgiven.

      Delete