Welcome to my new Friday Series Bellshill Bands
I'm pretty sure that somebody, somewhere has already done this and if so I apologise if I've stepped on anyone's toes.
For a small town in North Lanarkshire Bellshill (population approx 20,000) has constantly punched above it 's weight when it comes to churning out Indie bands
The first band to feature are the BMX Bandits a band who have been active since 1985. During that period they have gone through a large number of band members (some of whom will feature here later) with Duglas T Stewart here being the core member and primary songwriter. He is a legendary figure on the Scottish independent music scene. You will see him at many a gig.
They were a band that I was aware of over the years but I didn't really know that much about them (if that makes sense).
It is primarily through my Blogging chums and the likes of Big Gold Dreams - A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977- 1989 that I gradually became more familiar with them.
In 2021 Last Night From Glasgow re-released a copy of the band's 1991 album Star Wars and I saw them play at the Hug and Pint around then. It was the first, and as things stand the only piece of vinyl, I own by the band
They are quirky, a bit twee and well worth checking out.
Tune in next Friday for part two.
BMX Bandits - Kylie's Got a Crush on Us

This is a series I can get behind. - Brian
ReplyDeleteI think we need a parallel series called Bellshill Bellends in which you feature some of the less desirable locals.
ReplyDeleteI miss that great series about Musicals. Brutally axed.
DeleteAny further submissions welcome
DeleteI love that - how one band's success influences others and their place becomes a hotbed of creativity.
ReplyDeleteAlso the "halo effect" when we get into one great band and our brain fills in the gaps, assuming other bands from the same place will be of similarly high quality. They get a lucky break over bands from other places of similar quality. Sorry being boring...
Not at all!
Delete