I am finding it increasingly harder to pick up CDs in Charity Shops. So much so that my raison d'etre is increasingly under threat.
For example I visited a handful of charity shops in Clarkston, Troon and Prestwick recently and came away with nothing. As I pointed out recently I went through 500 plus CDs in Kinder Handl in Battlefield and came away with two. Two!
I'm blaming streaming and Spotify. Those that remain on the shelves tend to be Robbie Williams, the Corrs and any number of X Factor finalists
And yet very occasionally I'm in the right place at the right time and come away with a great haul. Trips to Debras in Shawlands and Marie Curie in Newton Stewart spring to mind.
I'm trying to be more discerning due to space issues but it can be a bit soul destroying.
I think what I'm saying is that unless in the unlikely even that things improve there will be less and less posts of new charity purchases

A victim of market forces!
ReplyDeleteNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWill there be name to change to TBFKACCM?
ReplyDeleteDigital in a Analog world!
ReplyDeleteOh no! The charity shop problem... it's not on. They need to pull their socks up.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I've seen the same thing happening. I reckon the people who decided to clear out their CD collections have all done it now. They're starting to become charity shop-scare. And the next step will be, any decent ones that do end up donated, suddenly the prices get raised. It's vinyl all over again.
ReplyDeleteAlso, as someone who volunteers in such a place, anything decent is now sifted out and put online (Ebay) by a team tasked with maximising income. It's all very sophisticated nowadays with 2 lots of sifting out done before it gets to us.
ReplyDeleteYep, the law of diminishing returns, Savvy sifting of donations by the charity shop world using the Record Collector pricing catalogue and other similar publications/websites. You'd stand more chance of getting 'decent' stuff at car boots or church/school bazaars.
ReplyDeleteThought that Kim Richey track sounded very Grant MaClennanish at the start
These last two posts go someway to explaining my dilemma.
ReplyDeleteI'll likely focus more on second hand record shops at charity's expense.
Was going to come in and say much the same as Alyson and Spence up above. It's been happening with vinyl for ages, and really sad that CDs have gone the same way.
ReplyDelete