Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 September 2018

Dead Flowers


Last week Walter featured Townes Van Zandt's cover of the Rolling Stones number  Dead Flowers which  is on the soundtrack of The Big Lebowski.
I mentioned that I had a live version by Steve Earle and the Dukes which I said I would look out.

It turns out that I've two live versions, one on their live album Shut Up and Die Like an Aviator  and one on the b-side of the 12 inch single of  The Other Kind (Back out on the Road Again)
I've gone for the latter  along with a live version of Guitar Town which were recorded in Calgary, Canada  way back in April 1989 around the time of his fourth studio album The Hard Way. Due to addiction issues and prison time it would be five years before his next record Train a Comin' saw the light of day.


Take me down little Susie, take me down

Steve Earle & the Dukes - Dead Flowers (live)

Steve Earle & the Dukes - Guitar Town (live)

It has just struck me that both Townes and Steve have pretty much lived this song which may well explain why they produced two excellent versions.

6 comments:

  1. Some good crackling at the start of DeadFlowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George is really a vegan?

      Delete
    2. Wow! I'm impressed, George. Have been doing some serious thinking lately about trying it out myself - though it would be a difficult transition.

      Delete