Search This Blog

Thursday 23 August 2018

Cockahoop


My latest charity shop acquisition is Cookahoop the 2003 debut solo album by Cerys Matthews on the Blanco y Negra label.
Recorded during her brief stay in Nashville it is produced by Bucky Baxter of Steve Earle, Bob Dylan and Ryan Adams fame and has Ken Coomer of Wilco on drums.
Most of the songs are her own compositions but I have gone for two that aren't
The opening track Chardonnay is written by Roger Cook and Hugh Cornwall (yes THAT Hugh Cornwall!).

Weightless Again is,as I'm sure you know, by Brett and Renee Sparks aka The Handsome Family and is from their peerless Through the Trees album.

Cerys Matthews -Chardonnay

Cerys Matthews -Weightless Again

13 comments:

  1. I've always liked this album. Caught in the Middle is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Cerys. Thanks for brightening my morning CC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This album is available, with P&P, for £1.85

    ReplyDelete
  4. ........on the strength of these two tracks it will not be purchased by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. I'm pretty sure I once owned this, but a quick scan of the shelves tells me it's not in the house anymore. I might just have to re-invest £1.85, as per George's tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT Hugh Cornwell with THAT Roger Cook, of Blue Mink, The Fortunes and Don Williams fame. Apparently they once made an album together. I am sufficiently intrigued that I may have to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is this it?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCW_(album)

      Delete
    2. ..and that Roger Cook (not the bloke who was always getting punched on ITV) co-wrote I'd Like to Teach The World To Sing and Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart. He must have a made few quid on royalties.

      Delete
    3. here's the first track from teh album
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFqw3Jy-9Kc
      I bet The Swede has this album.

      Delete
    4. A man with too much time on his hands!

      Delete
    5. Thanks, George. Based on that track I'm not sure I'll be pursuing my brief enthusiasm any further, but its nice to know it happened

      Delete