Search This Blog

Friday 1 June 2018

By Any Other Name


My recent witterings about Steve Wynn have had me reminiscing about one of the greatest live music experiences I have been privy to.
It was about a dozen of so years ago on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Austin's Continental Club and it was free.
Folk were just wandering in taking in the music as artists delivered short sets. It was the first time I had seen Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3 and they completely blew me away.
The act before them Mary McBride was pretty special too. This led to me purchasing two of the three albums she has released 2002's Everything Seemed Alright which I have featured before and 2004's By Any Other Name which I am featuring today.
She is joined by a number of Americana  luminaries such as Dan Baird, Delbert McClinton and Jason Victor who also played with the Miracle 3 and who is now with The Dream Syndicate. To keep the Steve Wynn connection going he co-wrote two of the songs including the first one featured before.

The albums are ok but live she was ten times rockier. Just imagine these two being delivered with some additional welly

Mary McBride - One-Eyed Dog

Mary McBride -Coming Up Empty

1 comment:

  1. I don't know the name, but enjoyed these tunes tremendously. That must've been a very special Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete