Search This Blog

Friday 4 May 2018

The Curse of the Mekons


The Curse of the Mekons from 1991 is the last album from my recent reasonably impressive charity shop haul most of which appeared on these pages at the start of April.
This one didn't feature as the EP Millionaire made an appearance and I figured that the Mekons twice in the one week was probably too much excitement for most of you to take.
Here is a review by All Music which gives it 4.5 out of 5.Discogs gives it 4 out of 5 so it seems that it was critically well received. 
Co-mingling brilliant roots rock with an authoritative swagger as Stereogum would have it
I'm liking it as well.
As is my want I've gone for two songs which feature the dulcet tones of Sally Timms on lead vocals with a country feel on the first one which is the only cover song on the album

Mekons - Wild and Blue

Mekons - Secrets

2 comments:

  1. 4 out of 5? Is that all? A fine album, and if I remember rightly there is a splendid rant of a track, Funeral maybe, that lasts about 7 minutes. Great album. Is Wild and Blue the one that starts with "ambulance, ambulance"?

    ReplyDelete