Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 May 2018

Thank You Elvis


I couldn't resist another dip into the collection of Elvis Costello song's covered by female artists which I found on my hard drive entitled Girls Talk.
The first track featured on it  is a version of Stranger in the House by Rachel Sweet. An artist who was also on Stiff (see yesterday's post) which goes to show that I don't just throw this stuff together.

We them move seamlessly into a compare and contrast with Rachel up against George Jones ( with some help from the man himself) from his My Very Special Guests album.

And as George states at the end of their number - thank you Elvis

Rachel Sweet - Stranger in the House

George Jones (with Elvis Costello) -Stranger in the House

8 comments:

  1. Although I'm a long time George Jones fan, I'm giving my vote to Rachel Sweet.

    Costello duetting with Jones was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're wrong there Gram with your last sentence.A tough call as to which is the better version.

      Delete
    2. CC - I think we'll have to agree to differ on the subject. (Aside from the fact that I'm right!)

      Delete
    3. It's all about opinions Gram!

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I always thought that Elvis sounded, understandably, a little overawed to find himself sharing a mic with George. I like the duet a lot, but perhaps they should've tried one more take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "which goes to show that I don't just throw this stuff together."
    Do you seriously expect us to believe that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only know know two songs by Rachel Sweet (B-A-B-Y and Baby Let's Play House), but they are both outstanding. One of those head-scratching finds by Stiff. From Akron, Ohio, for cryin' out loud! She's had a really interesting life. Worth looking up. I like this cover today, CC. Never heard this version.

    ReplyDelete