Search This Blog

Sunday 13 May 2018

Some Memphis Soul


Last Sunday's slab of soul from Irma Thomas out of New Orleans was well received.
Therefore you are getting some more today albeit we are moving up river to Memphis where we are meeting up with Ann Peebles.
Ann produced a number of soul albums in the 70's for the great Hi Records label which at the time was run by Willie Mitchell
Give Me Some Credit is from 1969 and was her second single written by band leader Oliver Sain from her native St Louis who she was performing with she signed for Hi
 99 Lbs   from 1971 was written by Hi's leading songwriter Don Bryant who she subsequently married in 1974.
Along with DJ Bernard Miller they are both credited with 1973's I Can't Stand the Rain which was her most commercial hit charting on both the American R&B and pop charts and also the lower reaches of the UK charts

Ann Peebles - Give Me Some Credit

Ann Peebles - 99lbs

Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand The Rain

Nothing to see here for a few days as I am off replenishing the batteries and hopefully the music

9 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff, CC. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracks 2 and 3 are absolutely splendid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off again on holiday? You get more than teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid stuff. Have a good break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Can't Stand The Rain is immense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Can't Stand The Rain is fantastic. As is that perfect photo of Ann, I love it.
    Have a great break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish to echo the sentiments of the folk above me about Ann Peebles and "I Can't Stand The Rain".

    And I hope the holiday break is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think that's a photo of Ann Peebles - Maybe just a generic album illustration.

    https://audibleartefacts.blogspot.ca/search/label/Ann%20Peebles

    ReplyDelete