Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 May 2018

Marry Me


No, that's not an offer. I'm already spoken for thank you very much.
Rather my trawl of the deeper recesses of my hard drive has come up with a copy of Marry Me the 2007 debut album by St.  Vincent another one that I didn't know I had.
I didn't know until now that she had been a member of The Polyphonic Spree but when you hear some of her songs it's not hard to imagine. Also you can see why David Byrne picked her as a co-pilot.

This is because she is a bit quirky. I'm still not sure if she is quirky in a good way (a la Bjork) or in a bad way (a la any number of acts) It may take a few listens before I decide whether she graduates to the shelves.

Views anyone?

St. Vincent -Landmines

St. Vincent - What Me Worry

5 comments:

  1. The La Blogotheque Take Away Show version of'Paris is Burning' was the song that originally turned me on to St Vincent in 2007. She played a stripped back version of 'Marry Me' in the same session. For my personal tastes she's quirky in a good way and it's Bjork who has ventured a little too far out at times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YgwiJ42NjA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite having Wiki at our eternal disposal, for some reason I always thought Annie was Canadian and, therefore, had some sort of connection to Broken Social Scene. Never knew she was from Oklahoma or a member of Polyphonic Spree. You learn something new every day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still undecided too. Sometimes I think good, sometimes I think eh?

    Didn't know she was a member of the Polyphonic Spree either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's sometimes very good. last 2 albums weren't great. Strange Mercy is excellent IMO

    ReplyDelete