Search This Blog

Saturday 9 December 2017

Covered By Cash -Down There By The Train


A unanimous victory last week for Simon and Garfunkel  with Bridge Over Troubled Water. That is unanimous among those that chose to vote. A good few were not that enamoured with either track and felt that Johnny would have had a much better chance with The Boxer or even better The Sound of Silence. I am inclined to agree.
The first defeat for a while sees the score now sitting at Cash 4 The Rest 3.

Today I was going to feature Rowboat but couldn't source a copy of the Beck original which I only heard for the first time via You Tube last week. If anyone could oblige I would be grateful.
Plan B sees Johnny up against Tom Waits with Down There By The Train with his version from the original American Recordings record.
Silk versus gravel.
 I struggle with Tom Waits (although this is one of his better numbers) so for me there can only be one winner and that's The Man in Black.
Others, of course, may choose to disagree

Johnny Cash - Down There By The Train

Tom Waits - Down There By The Train

12 comments:

  1. Cash, but only just. Will send you the Rowboat for next week's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Johnny and I'm glad you admitted to struggling with Tom Waits - Thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another one who 'struggles' with Tom Waits. Glad I'm in such exhalted company. Cash for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd class myself as a big Tom Waits fan, though 'Down There By The Train' is not a song I'm overly fond of. Johnny does it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything preferable to Tom Waits - U2, a chicken farting, the sound of one hand clapping, Leonard Cohen......ok not Leonard Cohen..........so it's Johnny Cash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't enjoyed Tom Waits since his voice broke, so I'll vote for Mr Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +1 for Waits, just because I admire him so much. I don't struggle with him; I accept that some of his music is facking unlistenable and ignore it in favor of his good stuff, of which there is quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waits is the rare artist that started in the ‘70s but actually got better in the ‘80s. Not too many of those out there. I stand by Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs. No way he’s beating Cash today, however. Johnny it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Tom Waits. Love Johnny Cash. The only struggle for me is which I prefer.

    Tom. This time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Johnny Cash wins this ome for me.
    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a struggler too, I just don't get him. JC for me (again)

    ReplyDelete