Search This Blog

Saturday 21 October 2017

Covered By Cash - I Won't Back Down

I'm not sure how long I'll persevere with the GIF!
Well that was an interesting start. An early lead from the Man in Black before Kris Kristofferson pulled away to administer a 10-3 whooping. To a man and woman, however, everyone acknowledged that they were two brilliant versions.
I would argue that this also applies to this week's compare and contrast when Johnny is up against the recently departed Tom Petty with his version of I Won't Back Down with Tom and the Heartbreakers providing the music and backing vocals.

Johhny's version is from American III : Solitary Man. The American Recordings series will feature fairly heavily over  the next few weeks.

Another very tough call this week.After having given both of them a listen I will go for Mr Cash  this week.A close call though.
Others, of course may choose to disagree.

Up above us on a cloud somewhere Tom Petty and Johnny Cash as sitting trying to work out what they are going to call their new duet!

Johnny Cash - I Won't Back Down

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down

13 comments:

  1. I can already tell that this series is going to be the toughest yet. Tom, by a whisker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh, I missed that you'd already made the Petty Cash reference!!
      Back later to cast my vote.

      Delete
  3. Song never did it for me, but take the Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bearing in mind that Tom sings backing vocals on Johnny's version, it seems you cannot separate the writer from the song. Tom gets my vote. He sings the chorus better with that high "Heeeeeeey baby" that Johnny doesn't try to emulate. Still love Johnny's version though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom. Though obviously, Johnny makes it his own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you give us an easy one next week? Tom, but only just

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought when you got to the American Recordings it would be all Johnny. Nope. Going with Tom today. Tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom for me as well. It is a classical song by Tom Petty although Johnny made it great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As said above, hard to separate the writer from the song and considering he is so recently departed, going to go with Tom. Johnny version also excellent though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough call, I think it's a great version too but Tom's original just takes the lead here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom Petty I think. Surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete