Search This Blog

Saturday 19 August 2017

Vintage Country Vinyl - Conway Twitty


Conway Twitty - great name, great hair, great clothes - pretty average singer
He released a shed load of albums from 1959 up to his death in 1993 aged just 59
Play Guitar Play is from 1977 (just when punk rock was hitting Britain) and reached number 3 in the US Country Charts. My copy was purchased  recently in the Wigtown Community shop along with a truly awful Chet Atkins album which I will not subject you to
I would describe him as a poor man's George Jones.
Sadly Mr & Mrs Twitty did not  actually have a son called Conway - rather he was christened  Harold Lloyd Jenkins which doesn't really have the same ring to it

The second song is for all us bloggers other halves!

Conway Twitty - I Can't Believe She Gives It All To Me

Conway Twitty - One in a Million


9 comments:

  1. He's one of those guys whose records seem to turn up in every charity shop and at every car-boot sale. Conway's music is a little too smooth for my tastes, but I wholeheartedly approve of the name he gave to his own personal theme park - Twitty City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One In A Million is very very good. A quality country song. I might have to inflict this tune on my partner a bit later. I think Dwight could have done a very good cover of this one. I also enjoyed I Can't Believe She Gives It All.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "poor man's George Jones" nails it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He murders Memphis, Tennessee and Wolverton Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another one of my late father's favorites, but I have to admit this is one guy I haven't really tried to get into. Perhaps it all starts here. Thanks, CC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I' ll be exploring much further Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just curious... which Chet Atkins album was it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're being a little harsh on him. Danny (Lonely Blue Boy) gives Elvis a run for his money. And the stuff he did with Loretta Lynn is definitely worth checking out.

    Well, this one is a CLASSIC...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENuY6eAgOA

    ReplyDelete