Search This Blog

Friday 23 June 2017

77


No, it's not my age although it does feel like it sometimes.
Rather it is the debut album from that year by Talking Heads.
I've had the urge to feature this for a few days now and I find it best not to fight such things.
I love the Velvets influences and the fact that sometimes it sounds like it is at the wrong speed - particularly on Psycho Killer.
Despite the influences a totally unique and original sound and an introduction to a band who excited us all for a good few years.
It was maybe ok in 77 (Labour in UK and Jimmy Carter in the US) but they have got it wrong with the current regimes (on both sides of the pond) with the title of the second number featured below.

Talking Heads - Uh -oh Love Comes to Town

Talking Heads - Don't Worry About the Government

6 comments:

  1. Another of the discs I took with me on my recent jaunt to London was the Talking Heads 'Sand in the Vaseline' double compilation and it's still playing in the car a week later. I'm struck by how practically none of the band's output has dated in any way - it still sounds thrilling, groundbreaking and contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best albums of all time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fan. More Songs About Buildings and Food is my go to, but the debut is a very close second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with my blogbrother Echorich. Fantastic album - incredible how fully formed and unique the band sounded on their debut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As they all said, a groundbreaking album, the first of several groundbreakers they recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave this a listen in full the other week for the first time in years. I'd genuinely forgotten how wonderful it was...I'll be honest and admit I struggled to appreciate it on its first few listens as it wasn't loud enough in comparison to what else I was listening to at the time...but Psycho Killer alone kept drawing me back in and I learned to love the rest of it over a few months.

    ReplyDelete