Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 March 2016

The Gospel According to Boo and Tony


As I mentioned  in my Percy Sledge post I recently visited a record shop in the small East Lothian town of Dunbar.
Pulling into the main street with a view to exploring the charity shops I was beside myself with excitement to notice that there was also an imaginatively named Record Shop.
I got chatting to the guy behind the counter as I was handing over my cash and he said that they had been open for just over a year and are doing ok. There is apparently also another one Wall of Noise in the neighbouring town of Haddington.
Greatly encouraging stuff and hopefully we will get back to the day when every small town has a record shop again
Alongside Percy in the bargain bin were two singles by 80's band The Bible. I was heading towards the counter when I noticed their 1986 debut album Walking the Ghost Back Home on which they featured and decided to upgrade.
I wasn't too familiar with their work but I have a copy of a Boo Hewerdine album together with stuff he has written for Eddi Reader and Heidi Talbot.In The Bible he is joined by Tony Shepherd on keyboards, drums and percussion
It is of it's time but at four quid I'm putting it down as a find.


The Bible - Graceland

The Bible - Mahalia

10 comments:

  1. There's a 'Record Shop' in Cardiff too. Do you think they're related??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A franchise? I like it
      Does what it says on the tin

      Delete
  2. Is that the actual shop in the photo CC?

    I had assumed it was an old photo from the 70s when I first saw it.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's yer actual shop Jamie! There are others along the line of Cake Shop and Knitting Shop
      Looks as though someone is making an effort to rejuvenate the High Street which is no bad thing

      Delete
    2. Must make the effort to visit the next time I'm anywhere nearby.

      Jamie

      Delete
  3. Just been Googling this wonderful little place and found that it's actually (on Facebook at least) called The Green Cat Record Shop. It looks fantastic - more power to them!
    The Bible's first LP is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could do a series of record shops in small towns on the east coast of scotland? I believe Broughty Ferry has a record shop (on King Street).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The start of Mahalia sounded very promising. After a minute or so it becomes a bit crap. Graceland lasted about 45 seconds before being switched off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of that shop... it's very green. And the lettering makes me think of TV prog Magpie!

    ReplyDelete