Search This Blog

Friday 15 January 2016

Celtic Connections - Ireland 2016


The first of four visits to this year's Celtic Connections tonight when Mrs CC, her mother and I head to the  Glasgow Royal Concert Hall to see Ireland 2016 - part of a year long international programme of centenary events commemorating the 1916 Easter Uprising.

The concert features The Chieftains and guests including apparently Kris Kristofferson.How good will that be?
Even I as the only non- Irish member of the party am beside myself with excitement and anticipation.

The Chieftains are of course renowned for their collaborations. There are four of their records on the shelves  with the likes of Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor, Ry Cooder, Rolling Stones and a host of Americana luminaries sharing the stage.
From the album of the same name we have Mick Jagger's version of The Long Black Veil - obviously not a patch on the Lefty Frizzell version the one that all other artists must bow down before.
Followed by a track from their Americana album Voice of Ages

I will follow up with a review post in due course

The Chieftains with Mick Jagger - The Long Black Veil

The Chieftains with The Low Anthem - School Days Over

6 comments:

  1. I've just started listening to Long Black Veil. It's terrible. That damned penny whistle thing is a hell of an annoying.And the vocal is staggeringly bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm siding with you, George (even though I haven't been able to listen to the Zippy link.) I just doubt that anyone could surpass Lefty Frizzell's great version of this song.

      Delete
  3. You are both correct.Like Marie says you do not require to listen to it to know that Lefty's version is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect, indeed I demand(!) something better tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. You may well be disappointed but you should enjoy Sunday
      In fairness the one with The Low Anthem is quite good

      Delete