Search This Blog

Sunday 1 November 2015

Some Sunday Soul


In 1987 along with a  few million or so other people I bought Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby an album he modestly proclaimed as the most important album since Sgt Pepper.
Like a  few million or so others I never got round  to buying anything else by him and indeed had not heard anything until Scott on Spools Paradise thankfully back with us featured a couple of songs from the Neither Fish nor Flesh follow up album which I had mistakenly thought was called Neither Fish nor Foul.
These tracks were rather good but I have still to carry out my comment about following it up.

Terence is now known as Sananda Maitreya a name that came to him in a series of dreams and he is now produced around a dozen albums under these two names.

More Soul next Sunday

Terence Trent D'Arby -Sign Your Name

Terence Trent D'Arby -As Yet Untitled

7 comments:

  1. I was one of the few other millions, CC. And his following album is even better but didn't hit the nerve of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Neither Fish Nor Flesh' contained a handful of corkers, but was, ahem, fleshed out with a lot of waffle. I reckon TTD is a good candidate for one of TVV's Imaginary Compilation Albums. 'Sign Your Name' is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all that changing his name because of a dream suggests he's even more of a fud than I originally took him for. If You Let Me Stay was good but I never got any further than that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you once had a copy of Neither Fish. Must have been Pete? Forgot to say how much I enjoyed Angeliqeu Kidjo and The Jayhawks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The debut album is great - and I give a lot of the credit to Martyn Ware's production and choice of musicians showcasing D'Arby's voice. Sean Oliver, Preston Heyman, Tim Cansfield, Mel Collins...what a session band!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great debut album, always recall a crackin' performance of If You Let Me Stay on The Tube...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with Swede as I think he had about 8-10 great songs over the years... under this moniker, anyway. He sure made it difficult to like him.

    ReplyDelete