Search This Blog

Saturday 21 November 2015

Saturday Lucky Dip



Confession time - and one which may result in me being drummed out the Brownies. I do not own any records by Jimi Hendrix.
I do however have a Mojo compilation The Roots of Hendrix -15 tracks that inspired the legend.
No doubt an opportunity for a 30 page article and a chance to feature some Blues standards in the public domain.
There are a few crackers as you would expect and I have selected Howlin' Wolf and Jimmy Reed for your listening pleasure.
The stand out however is Little Richard's cover of the Don Covay song I Don't Know What You've Got, But it's Got Me which was also covered by Hendrix.
I was initially going to save this for a Soul Sunday slot but it is so good that I felt compelled to post it now.

Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor

Jimmy Reed -Bright Lights Big City

Little Richard - I Don't Know What You've Got, But It's Got Me (Parts 1&2)

5 comments:

  1. I do own just a couple of Hendrix albums, though that's more than enough for me. I totally get his genius and influence (though not always for the good), but his music just isn't something I seek out or reach for very often. Your three selections here, on the other hand, are fantastic. Particularly good to hear a lesser known Little Richard cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Little Richard track is tremendous. He could have re-invented himself as a great southern soul singer instead of re-recording his rock and roll hits every thre years.
    Unlike The Swede I have 26 Hendrix albums. Which is at least 15 too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just follow the words of The Swede. Hendrix was a genius but I listened (too) often to his music in my younger days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuck'sake CC sort your self out man! Going through a big Hendrix revival recently. I have less albums than George but four times as many as the Swede. All apart from 5 are live albums. Can't have enough live Hendrix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. corection that should have been seven times as many as the Swede.

    ReplyDelete